Donating sperm is a great way to earn money while helping others start a family. And with more women and families than ever using fertility clinics to conceive, sperm donors are currently in high demand.
But becoming a sperm donor may be more difficult than many people realize. In fact, only about 1% of all donor applicants pass our screening requirements. This may be because of low sperm count or something in the medical or genetic history of a potential donor that was detected during screening. In response to the many calls we get about donor requirements, here are some of the qualities and characteristics we look for in a sperm donor:
- You are between 18 and 39 years of age.
- You maintain a healthy lifestyle including eating well, getting regular exercise, and moderate alcohol use.
- Willingness to go through our rigorous screening process, which includes a physical exam, detailed questionnaire, in-person interview, and blood, semen, and genetic testing. All this is done for safety of our clients as well as your own. For example, you will get access to all the information we gather during your genetic test, and this valuable information could give you insights into your medical history you weren’t previously aware of.
- A commitment to donating on a regular schedule of once per week. This helps us maintain enough inventory for those clients who choose you as their donor. Regular donations also mean you earn more money, which could be as much as $1,000 a month if you donate two to three times a week. We also ask that you commit to staying with our program for at least one year.
- Patience, because becoming a sperm donor is not a quick process. Our screening and application process takes several visits and about three weeks to complete. During this time we will interview you to ensure you understand everything involved with your commitment. For an inside look at the process, read a blog post written by one of our donors.
You can also read other posts to learn more about becoming a sperm donor, including the many benefits you’ll receive when you join our program. Or, if you have others questions about the process, please contact us at email@example.com or (858) 732-8500.